Monday, November 24, 2008

LING 612 Ch 10 Reading Assessment and Instruction by Peregoy, S. & Boyle, O. (2005)

This chapter does a wonderful job of explaining that if assessment is multidimensional, then you and your students have a better opportunity to show progress in more ways. I liked the Figure 10.1 that has a instructional cycle that has these components, assess, instruct based on assessment, re-evaluate, instruct. This cycle is repeated until students are ready to move on to another level.
For non-native English speakers, it is recommended that you find out information about student's prior knowledge, purpose for reading, language knowledge and their prior literacy experiences both in their first language as well as in English. You also have to look at the student's background knowledge which is finding out if they use their background knowledge when they read, language knowledge which is their miscue analysis, word recognition and if they understand the words they are reading, vocabulary in speaking, reading and writing, and comprehension which includes the different levels such as independent, instructional, and frustration from the text that they are reading.
From the informal reading inventories, I find myself using echo reading where you or a tape reads and children echo back the same phrases or sentences. I also use guided reading when I have both my kindergarten and first grade students for my guided reading group. The level of difficulty depends on the students and what lessons I want to emphasize.
I also am a big fan of read alouds and introducing silent sustained reading to my first grade group. They enjoy reading texts and we read books that are at all levels, but mostly focusing on the frustration levels, just to work together through the passages.

3 comments:

~Superwoman~ said...

Well Hello Guru, I just wondered how do you first begin the process for them to begin Silent Sustained Reading? I don't know how that looks like because I think I am the first one to have them do SSR, by the time they get to me they are fairly good readers. I don't know if they have SSR in the K or 1st grades here, maybe I should ask. The inner struggle for them too is beginning to read in their heads, hence "Silent". It's always loud during "Silent" Sustained Reading. (LOL). Is that the same for you?

languagemcr said...

When I used SSR I first did an interest survey of the kids. Then, I gathered a bunch of books from used book stores and garage sales and begged book stores for discounts. I also collected magazines like sports illustrated for kids and such. Like you have all said, it was probably the best thing I could do to improve reading.

Good question about the "silent" part. I do thing emergent readers do better if they hear themselves.

Guru Pitka said...

Well hello! Great questions. Silent Reading is actually self selected books and anything that has print in it, and going to a comfortable place and read/look at the pictures of books. Sometimes students have someone read to them, sometimes it is just a matter of looking and trying out words, but yes, it is all out loud. I find that students help each other when they hear someone sounding out a word. We do that as part of our reading lesson as well. Happy Thanksgiving!!